Addressing Child labor through Open school
Open School Project focus on:
- Counseling parents/single mothers to guide their children about the right to education, instead of coercing them into becoming wage-earners
- Speaking to factory owners and conducting awareness programmes with them on the rights of the young people they are employing
- Classes at Tomorrow’s Foundation Open Schools are held in two sessions, during the day and in the evening
- Ensuring a complete education
- Bridging education into training that equips young people for jobs and self-employment
Over the past 3 years the intervention has resulted in an increase in children and young people leaving hazardous job sectors, enrolling them into the formal and continuous education system, acquiring necessary and relevant skills through skills and livelihood training and finding for themselves relatively safer jobs, thereby improving their own living standards and those of their families.